Clays for Dust Pressing
Sign Up for our monthly informational email.
Plainsman Clays Ltd. will be closed to public access starting Thursday March 19.
We will keep the doors closed (no exceptions), but continue to take and fill orders via phone
(credit card only accepted) and e-mail.
Pick up orders will be placed at the front of the building, however we will be unable to assist with loading.
These measures enable us to limit contact and minimize risk with regards to the COVID-19 virus.
We can be reached by phone at 403-527-8535, fax 403-527-7508 and via email at email@example.com.
Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time.
The dust pressing process is suitable for many ceramic and non-ceramic products. Almost any ceramic powder can be pressed and, if needed, binders can be added to achieve added dry hardness. However lower plasticity, low contaminant clays are best (we recommend starting with our 3D raw clay). Almost all ceramic tile is made by dust pressing, the tile industry is by far the biggest user of ceramic materials. In recent years many other industries have also adopted the dust pressing process (replacing others that have been used for centuries). Amazingly, it is possible to layer dusts of different formulations into a mold and press them as a layered matrix. Many high-technology parts are made by this method. Some of the advantages of this process are:
- Parts of tighter tolerance can be made
- Less drying equipment (and therefore less energy consumption) and floor space are needed, ware can be fired soon after forming
- Cleaner shapes with smoother surfaces can be made
- Changes in body plasticity is not nearly as big an issue
- Clay mixes with coarse particles can be still be employed to create objects with smooth surfaces
- Pressed items have much better dimensional stability and produce flat true shapes that can be fired with less warping.
Plainsman clays is an ideal supplier of dust pressing raw clay, silty and sandy powders because:
- Our process can create powders at up to 8% water content, these can thus be put straight into your pressing machines
- Our parent company has more than 60 years of experience with dust pressing production, we can assist you to adopt this technology
- The Plainsman suite of materials can be blended to create a wide range of custom materials of high consistency
- We have a long history of delivering consistent product quickly and efficiently.